Hello Friends, we got very good response from our all members for every Troubleshooting Guide I made in the past for various games as listed here, so I thought to make one more today for current most played video game, Call of Duty: Black Ops II. Hope you will like it too.
Because of being a large and High End video game, its obvious to get few problems like poor FPS, lag, crash to desktop etc.. with Black Ops 2 as well. But don’t worry, there are solutions for everything. But before we start hardcore troubleshooting on those problems, you should first ensure that your gaming computers meets atleast the minimum system requirements of the game, which is as follows:
Minimum System Requirements:
- Operating System: Windows 7 32bit
- CPU: Intel Celeron E1200 Dual-Core 1.6GHz OR AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3600+
- Memory: 2 GB
- Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 430 48 Shaders OR AMD Radeon HD 4650 1GB
- DirectX: DirectX 11
- HDD Space: 10 GB
Recommended System Requirements:
- Operating System: Windows 7 64bit
- CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz OR AMD Athlon II X3 415e
- Memory: 4 GB
- Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 OR AMD Radeon HD 4850×2
- DirectX: DirectX 11
- HDD Space: 10 GB
Black Ops 2 Crash or CTD Fix:
There could be many reasons for various types of crashes such as Crash to desktop, crash during gameplay, crash when clicking Play button, Crash during launching the game, etc. So depending on the type of crash, you can follow the solutions given below:
- If your game is crashing during the startup or launching the game, the very first thing you need to check is you have the system requirements mentioned above. If it is OK, then probably your graphic card’s drivers are out of date. Just visit the official manufacturer’s websites and download the drivers. For reference, you can click here to download nVidia Drivers and if it is AMD/ATI cards, click here for the drivers.
- Second most probable cause of game crash use to be your Antivirus or Security programs. You should always keep them turned off (especially if it is Norton) while launching the game. If you feel any risk, you can turn on antivirus after the game is started properly. If you are playing Black Ops 2 on Windows 7 or Vista, make sure Windows Defender is disabled.
- While playing the game on Steam it is recommended to keep your Antivirus and security programs disabled to experience the better game play without errors.
- If still you are facing the Crash then you will need to Turn Off SLI / Crossfire, disable V-sync, anti-aliasing and filtering and restart the game. Also I will suggest you to go to your Graphic Card’s control Panel and turn off one GPU. Yes, try running the game on only one GPU.
- Another possible cause that can crash the game is any background process eating up huge amount of CPU resources. You can check this in Task Manager. Better I suggest to kill all unwanted processes before starting the game. Just open Task Manager by right clicking the Task bar or pressing Ctrl+ Alt +Del keys, Click Process Tab, right click all unwanted process one by one and select Kill.
- Another possible cause for game crash can be out dated DirectX. So along with updating the system and graphics drivers, don’t forget to update the DirectX as well. You can download latest DirectX from here http://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/details.aspx?id=17431
Black Ops 2 Crash related to Graphic Cards:
Many times your graphic card settings could be the reason of crashes. In such cases, you can go through the below steps:
- ATI/AMD Cards: Many times it has been observed that Catalyst Control Center interferes with Radeon cards performance. So just open card control panel and uninstall Catalyst Control Center. Once done, restart the game.
- nVidia Cards: Here you need to do a change in 3D settings that may fix the problem. Just open nVidia Control Panel, click 3D settings and set Turn On the “Threaded Optimization”. Now restart the game.
Black Ops 2 Installation Errors and Problems:
Many gamers are even facing few errors and issues while installing the game. If you are one of them, simply check below steps:
Error: “Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 Install Fails, Cannot Install”
I have seen this error with various other games including Prototype 2, Max Payne 3, etc and the only reason behind this use to be Microsoft C++. This is basically a C++ bug. So the best and only solution to get rid of this error is to uninstall Microsoft C++ from your control panel > Add/Remove Programs. Usually this error occurs when you have more than one instances listed about Microsoft C++ in Add/Remove. So uninstall both, restart the computer and Start playing game. Hopefully you wont be getting the error again.
Unable to Install Black Ops 2:
If you had a failed attempt of installing Black Ops 2 or trying to re-install it again, you wont get it done. There might come some problem, or error. This is could be because if some left over files or folders from the earlier installation. So before re-installing or retrying to install after one failed attempt, go to C:\Program Files and delete the Black Ops 2 folder. Now restart the computer and start the game.
Black Ops 2 Freezing, Poor FPS and Lagging solutions:
- Most possible cause for freezing or lagging of the game or getting Poor FPS is not getting required resources from the system to run the game comfortably. In such cases you can fix it by disabling the vsync and antialiasing. You can do this by going to your graphi card control panel or AMD’s Vision Engine Control Center, select Call of Duty: Black Ops 2’s exe file and disable Antialiasing and Vsync. Now restart the game.
- Go in the game’s graphic settings and lower down your graphics (try depth of Field first). Now continue the game. Hopefully you will get smoother gameplay if there are no other things creating the problem.
- If still you getting any of those problems, right click on Task Bar, select Task Manager. Under Task Manager go to Process Tab and Select Call of Duty: Black Ops 2’s process. Right click the same, click on “Set Priority” and select High or Above Normal.
- If you are a hardcore gamer and have knowledge about D3DOverrider software, then you should try enabling/forcing tripple buffering and V-sync with this software. Note, try it only if you have enough knowledge about this.
- Freezing, lagging or FPS problem also occurs because of outdated drivers and DirectX. SO make sure you have everything updated before starting the game.
- If you facing these problems while playing on the steam, then very first thing you need to check is you have disabled your Antivirus Programs and have Stable Internet Broadband Connection.
- Apart from these, you should also verify the integrity of your Steam game cache. You can do this by launching Steam, go to Library, select and right click Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 and select Properties. Now click on Local Files Tab and you will see a button for “Verify integrity of game cache”, just click the same. Wait for few minutes to complete the process.
- If you are facing all or any of these problems on Windows XP computer, then the only solution is to update your system to Windows 7 because XP is not compatible for Call of Duty: Black Ops II