As we know Google has officially launched the latest, fastest and most featured pack update called Marshmallow which is version Android 6.0 a couple of months ago. Which is now already running on few devices only including Google’s own Nexus lineup, Android One and few others. However, there is a huge list of smartphones scheduled to receive the Marshmallow update, including Samsung Flagships.
Now, as per the official news, Samsung is said to be rolling out Marshmallow updated for Galaxy S6, S6 Edge+, and Galaxy Note 5. As per 2014’s flagship Galaxy S5, there are only rumors, it may get it or may not get it. No confirmation yet. Although if it is scheduled for official Marshmallow update, it is gonna take months to get to S5. So, if you are excited to taste the new Android on your Galaxy S5 as well but dont want to wait, here is an alternative.
An XDA developer has already released Android Marshmallow Custom ROM for Samsung Galaxy S5. It is unofficial but gives you every feature and performance of Marshmallow including Now on Tap, Doze Power saving, and more. If you want, you can Update your Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android Marshmallow right away using this guide. Let’s start.
- Make sure take backup of each and every important data because Flashing this Custom ROM will require to Wipe out the phone completely.
- Charge up the device atleast 70% before starting the process because it should not get drained out during the process.
- This process is only for selected Galaxy S5 Models including kltexx, kltelra, kltetmo, kltecan, klteatt, klteub, klteacg, kltedcm, klte, kltespr, klteusc, kltevzw, kltedv. DO NOT try on any other model.
- You must have Rooted Galaxy S5 with TWRP Recovery. If not, check this for Installing TWRP Galaxy S5.
- Make sure the latest version of USB Drivers are installed on your computer.
If you are ready with all those stuffs, we are good to go for installing CyanogenMod 13 on your Galaxy S5. But do understand, this is a Custom ROM and requires a technical person to carry out the process perfectly. If done wrong, the phone may get bricked (however, you can fix bricked phones) but I or TechDiscussion.in website will not be held responsible for damage done to your phone. Carry out this process on your own risk.
Flashing CyanogenMod 13 on Galaxy S5:
- Start by downloading ROM Package and Stock Marshmallow Gapps, save them on your desktop.
- Connect your phone using USB cable and copy both these downloaded files to the Root of SD card. Make sure to put it in Root so that it can be easily accessed from Recovery.
- Now switch off the phone and enter TWRP recovery by press and holding Power Key and Volume Down together.
- Dont leave the keys until you see Samsung Logo. Once the logo appears, leave only power key but keep on holding Volume key until the phone boots in Recovery.
- Once in TWRP, take backup of your existing ROM for being on safer side. To do so, use the volume rockers ro scroll and select Backup. Follow the further process.
- Once Backup is done, come back to Main recovery screen and tap on Advanced Wipe. Here wipe out Dalvik Cache, Cache, System and Data.
- Now from the main screen again, tap on Install > Browse to the Rom Package and select it to install. Confirm it to proceed.
- Once ROM is installed successfully, again tap on Install > Browse and select Gapps package. Confirm to Install.
- Once done, now simply select Reboot and you are done.
The phone may take a while to boot because this is the first boot with new Custom ROM. Be patience. Once it is booted, you will the all new fresh look with Android Marshmallow.