OnePlus 2 released in 2015 runs currently on Android Marshmallow. The company had promised to update the Android version to 7.0 Nougat but later confirmed that OnePlus 2 won’t receive any update. And still using Marshmallow is just super boring because Android’s later versions have brought us so many new features.
Now that being said, we will help you to install Android Pie version on your OnePlus 2. Yes, it is not official but we are going to use AOSP based custom ROM, its Pixel Experience. This ROM comes pre-loaded with all Pixel goodies including the bootanimations, launcher, wallpapers, icons, fonts, etc. If you want to give your OnePlus 2 a fresh experience, Just go according to the instructions given ahead.
Note: Although this ROM and below mentioned process have been successfully tested on said phone model before posting here, you still have to follow the process on your own risk. Any damage or harm to your phone would not be our responsibility.
- You must have your OnePlus 2 Bootloader unlocked. Here’s the Guide.
- Download TWRP for OnePlus 2 (Team Win Recovery Project)
- Download Pixel Experience ROM
- Switch off the device and boot it into fastboot mode. You can do this by press and holding Power and Volume down buttons simultaneously for about 10 seconds
- Connect your OnePlus 2 using a good USB cable with computer where the downloaded files are save.
- Now open command prompt and go to the folder where you downloaded TWRP recovery image.
- Type ‘fastboot devices’ in the command prompt and see if your device is detected by system
- If yes, type ‘fastoot flash recovery twrp_filename.img’ and press enter. The process will be completed in no time.
- Type fastboot boot twrp_filename.img, press enter. Your phone will enter into TWRP recovery mode.
- It will ask to allow modifications. Slide right to allow Modifications.
- Make a full wipe (system, cache, data, dalvik)
- Click on ‘Install’. Go to the location where you have stored ROM file. It’s always better to keep the ROM on SD card or USB OTG drives.
- Select the ROM file and swipe right to flash.
- Flash ROM (Pixel exp OS).
- Reboot the device and there you go! It’s done.
After reboot you must see your OnePlus 2 running on Android 9 Pie with all new features of this update. Since this is a Custom ROM, you may or may not face problems. With this ROM, we came across some issues such as Jio is not working, VoLTE not working and sometimes the camera crashes.