After bring in rumors for so long, Samsung has finally introduced its first Foldable Smartphone at yesterday’s Unpacked event along with Galaxy S10 lineup. Although Samsung got a little late to introduce it as Xiaomi and Royole has already displayed their foldable phones last month, recently we saw Samsung’s foldable phone in a leaked video which was dubbed as Galaxy F. But during the launch, Samsung said this was in development over eight years since we first say the flexible display prototype in 2011.
Talking about the phone, it comes with dual display setup. Galaxy Fold sports a 7.3 inch QXGA+ Dynamic AMOLED Infinity Flex Display offering 4.2:3 aspect ratio. And when you fold it, we get a 4.6 inch HD+ Super AMOLED cover display offering 21:9 aspect ratio. According to the company, there’s some type of polymer layer that turns the display upto 50% thinner compared to other typical phone display and the new material also makes this screen pretty tough and flexible for longer durability.
The new Galaxy Fold is not only beautiful from outside but a powerhouse inside too. Samsung has powered it up with latest Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 7nm Mobile Platform accompanied by Adreno 640 GPU along with whopping 12GB LPDDR4x RAM. At this processing power you just can’t doubt for the performance or multitasking. As per storage, we get onboard 512GB memory (UFS 2.1). It seems like there’s no place to expand it using MicroSD card.
The Camera or Cameras:
With Galaxy Fold we just dont get one or two, but a bunch of 6 cameras. Yes, you read it correct. When it is in unfold state, you get Triple Camera setup on the rear side, that includes a 12 Megapixel Dual Pixel primary camera with LED Flash, f/2.4-f/1.5 variable aperture and OIS along with secondary 12 Megapixel Telephoto lens with 45° FoV and f/2.4 aperture and the third 16 Megapixel 123° Ultra Wide sensor with f/2.2 aperture with 0.5X/2X optical zoom with up to 10X digital zoom.
And on the front facing, we have two cameras for selfies, that includes a 10 Megapixel Dual Pixel front-facing camera with 80° wide-angle lens and f/1.9 aperture along with secondary 8 Megapixel depth sensor with f/2.2 aperture and 90° FoV. So far, these 5 cameras exactly as we got on Samsung Galaxy S10 series. The one extra camera here is 10 Megapixel camera for the front cover display when you fold the phone. You also get all the camera features as we saw in Galaxy S10+.
OS, UI & Others:
The new Samsung Galaxy Fold runs on latest Android 9.0 Pie. On the top of it, it has a new UX with bunch of new features which we have never seen on any Samsung phone such as App Continuity. It means when your close the display and comeback, apps will show up where you leave off automatically. Another new feature we can see here is Multi-Active Window that lets you open up to three active apps simultaneously on the main display.
Furthermore, we get a fingerprint scanner on the side of the device. Samsung has powered it up with Dual batteries that sums up to 4,380mAh battery with fast charging support on both wired and wireless.
Samsung Galaxy Fold Specifications:
- Android 9.0 Pie
- Side-mounted Fingerprint Sensor
- 7.3 inch QXGA+ Dynamic AMOLED Infinity Flex Display offering 4.2:3 aspect ratio
- 4.6 inch HD+ Super AMOLED cover display with 21:9 aspect ratio
- Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 7nm Mobile Platform with Adreno 640 GPU
- 12GB LPDDR4x RAM with 512GB internal storage (UFS 2.1)
- 12 Megapixel Dual Pixel primary camera with LED Flash, f/2.4-f/1.5 variable aperture and OIS along with secondary 12 Megapixel Telephoto lens with 45° FoV and f/2.4 aperture and the third 16 Megapixel 123° Ultra Wide sensor with f/2.2 aperture with 0.5X/2X optical zoom with up to 10X digital zoom.
- 10 Megapixel Dual Pixel front-facing camera with 80° wide-angle lens and f/1.9 aperture along with secondary 8 Megapixel depth sensor with f/2.2 aperture and 90° FoV
- 10 Megapixel cover camera with f/2.2 aperture
- Stereo speakers tuned by AKG, Dolby Atmos
- 5G Sub6 / mmWave (28G, 39G), 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11ax (2.4/5GHz), VHT80 4×4 MIMO, Bluetooth 5, GPS with GLONASS, USB 3.1, NFC and MST
- 4,380mAh battery with fast Charging support on wired and wireless (WPC and PMA)
Pricing and Availability:
The new Samsung Galaxy Fold will go on sale on April 26th, 2019 via AT&T and T-Mobile in US. As of now there’s no details available about its global release. The phone is priced at $1,980 that is approximately Rs. 1,40,700. It will be available in 4 different color choices including Space Silver, Cosmos Black, Martian Green and Astro Blue.
[Last Updated on]