Its going to be a year since Android launched Marshmallow update. Most of the Samsung’s latest flagships have already got the Android 6.0 update, except few models of Galaxy S5. But anyhow we found alternate way of giving S5 a Marshmallow taste.
Now, Galaxy S5 was the last device from Samsung to receive Android 6.0 Update, in the descending order. Since Galaxy Note 6 is even older device then S5, there’s no chance, neither any hope of getting official Marshmallow update for this phablet. So, we got to find again an alternate way of providing Marshmallow taste to our Note 3.
There’s a Custom ROM called Slim6 which is based on latest Android 6.0.1 which works pretty good with Note 3 and brings all those new features of marshmallow to the device. It has been tested and verified with Note 3 (LTE N9005). So, you can go ahead and flash this ROM without any problem. There’s no risk unless and until you follow the steps properly as mentioned below. Interested to get Marshmallow on Galaxy Note 3? let’s go.
- Since we are going to flash the complete new ROM, it will delete every data and file stored on your phone. So,
- Backup each and every file you want from the phone and save it safe somewhere.
- Charge up the phone to atleast 70% before starting the process. It should not drain out in between or the phone may get bricked.
- Make sure your Note 3 is Rooted.
- Download and install latest Samsung USB Drivers on your computer.
- Download the Slim6 Marshmallow ROM and save it on your computer. It is about 247MB in size.
- Download Gapps and save them on PC too.
- Enable USB debugging by going to Phone Settings > Development > USB debugging
Once you are ready with all these requirements, we are good to go for flashing the ROM.
Flashing Slim6 Marshmallow ROM on Galaxy Note 3:
- Start by connecting your Note 3 with PC where all those files are saved. make sure USB Drivers are installed.
- Copy the ROM package and Gapps in the root directly of your phone’s SD card. Do not extract.
- Now disconnect the cable and turn off the phone completely.
- Now press and hold Volume Up + Home + Power keys together for about 15 seconds to boot your Note 3 in Recovery Mode (Make sure phone is rooted)
- Once you are in recovery, use volume rockers to scroll and select wipe data / factory reset.
- Now select wipe cache partition and wipe dalvik cache.
- Now from the main recovery menu select install zip from sdcard. Browse to the SD card root and select the downloaded Slim6 Marhsmallow ROM package.
- Confirm to start flashing the ROM
- Once done, repeat Install zip from SD card and select GApps to install. Confirm the flash too.
- Once both are done, go back to main Recovery screen and select Reboot system now.
That’s it, all done. Now let the phone boot into newly installed Marshmallow OS. Since this would be the first boot, it may take longer to get to home screen. Your Samsung Galaxy Note 3 would be running on Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow OS.